Are you looking for ways to improve your workplace? Do you know someone who wants to make a difference? Are you a person who likes to promote positive change? Consider nominating yourself or one of your colleagues for Staff Council. The online nomination form is located at uiowa.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9zArwYZ6Yh4voXi.
The election process for Staff Council has changed somewhat in response to the new UI classification system that was implemented in July 2011. Past elections saw staff councilors elected from four University areas of discipline: Administrative/Academic, Health Care, Research and MSE/C.
This year the council will be seeking nominations for Staff Council representatives from the following job function (based on new UI classification system) categories:
- Academic Support (2 representatives)
- Administration (1 representative)
- Arts/Athletics/Student Services (1 representative)
- Business & Finance (1 representative)
- Engineering & Architecture (2 representatives)
- Health Care (2 representatives)
- Information Technology (4 representatives)
- MSEC (1 representative)
- Research/Scientific Services (3 representatives)
There also will be an organization unit component to Staff Council representation. Organizational Unit elections will be conducted independently from the job function elections.
Complete information on the new Staff Council election process can be found on the Staff Council web page at www.uiowa.edu/~staff.
Staff Council members work closely with their supervisors to arrange time away from their regular duties to attend Staff Council meetings and contribute to Staff Council initiatives. While each experience is different, most council members find that the university-wide perspective and access to timely and relevant information afforded through service on Staff Council is recognized as an important asset by their supervisors.
Staff Council membership expectations, as recommended from the Human Resources Committee, are as follows:
- Have clear expectations for time commitment (average of three to five hours per month depending upon committee assignments). Additional time is necessary for committee leadership roles and executive committee roles.
- Discuss desire to be on Staff Council with supervisor. Include reasons that Staff Council membership is beneficial to the unit as well as your own professional development.
- Regularly attend meetings and participate in discussions.
- Solicit information/opinions from constituents and share with the council.
- Share information from meetings and e-mails with constituents.
- Participate in at least one committee assignment. If committee members are non-Staff Council members, the chair should forward minutes and announcements from Staff Council meetings.
Visit www.uiowa.edu/~staff for more information about Staff Council.
Nominations will be accepted until Monday, Jan. 30. Elections will be held during the first two weeks in February. For more information on the election, contact elections chair Greg Thompson at email@example.com or 319-335-3700, or any Staff Council member listed on the roster.