The UI Department of Theatre Arts will hold open auditions for 12 productions and two readings during the first week of classes. These auditions provide an opportunity to learn more about UI theatre and to perform in Mainstage, Gallery, and Workshop productions, as well as staged readings.
General auditions will be held 7–11 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 25, and 6–11 p.m., Friday, Aug. 26, in Theatre B of the UI Theatre Building. Callbacks will be held at 10 a.m., Saturday–Sunday, Aug. 27–28. Casting will be announced at 10 p.m., Sunday, Aug. 28. Some productions will begin rehearsals Monday, Aug. 29.
Visit wiki.uiowa.edu/display/theatre/Auditions to sign up for an audition slot. Ten walk-ins will be accepted each evening.
Auditions for UI theatre productions are open to everyone. For academic considerations, priority is given to theatre majors first, and then all other UI students. Members of the greater Iowa City community are strongly encouraged to audition. Excellent roles are available throughout the year, and many non-majors and actors from the surrounding community are cast each season. Occasionally, professional guest actors will also be employed.
Shows participating in fall auditions (directors in parentheses):
- The Cherry Orchard (team leader: Eric Forsythe)
- Stick Fly (Tisch Jones)
- A Hamlet (Carol MacVey)
- Amelia and the Ocean (Levi Smith)
- Undergraduate Directors Festival: Mastodon Juan (Mark Smolyar)
- Undergraduate Directors Festival: Medusa’s Tale (Emilia Hodges)
- Undergraduate Directors Festival: American Pride (Josh Raheim)
- Undergraduate Directors Festival: The Raunchy Dame in the Chinese Raincoat (Kaitlyn Busbee)
- Lysistrata (Matt Hawkins)
- christopher marlowe’s chloroform dreams (Katherine Sherman)
- Lady from the Sea (David Hanzal)
- Vaudeville Dreams (Janet Schlapkohl)
Readings that will cast following fall auditions:
- Tinwomen (Bethany Jackson)
- The Boat House (Eve Adderley)
For more info, visit wiki.uiowa.edu/display/theatre/Audition+Information.